Thursday, November 15, 2007

Thankful vs Happy

The other night, me and my old buddy had a short IM conversation. The usual hi and hellos. We're both busy that's why we did not actually intend to chat that night. Then all of a sudden, a question popped-out of my frigid mind. Here's my archive:

Lj: hey, i got a question...
Drs: yeah, what's up...
Lj: which would you prefer..?
Lj: someone is thankful because of you...
Lj: or someone is happy because of you...
Drs: can i pick both..?
Lj: nope, you've got to choose one...
Drs: hmmm...
Drs: when we say thankful, it could mean that the person is happy, right..?
Drs: it could be a package...
Drs: do you feel thankful of something but your not happy..?
Drs: get it..?
Drs: we're grateful because we're glad or happy...
Drs: or appreciative...
Drs: but when we say happy..it could be we're just happy...
Drs: without any appreciation...
Drs: i mean...yeah, happy...period...
Drs: hmmm...i don't know..
Drs: but ill go for the thankful thingy...
Drs: why you're asking..?
Lj: ahhh...nothing...just nothing...
Drs: we can always say that we're happy, right..?
Drs: it's too much of a cliche...
Drs: but when we say I'm thankful, it has FOR ME, a much deeper meaning...
Drs: still i don't know...
Drs: maybe case to case basis...
Lj: hmmm...
Drs: it depends maybe on the way the person said that...
Drs: it depends on the situation...the facial expression...
Drs: too many things, right..?
Lj: yup...
Drs: why you're asking..?
Lj: just nothing...
Drs: huh..?
Lj: it just entered my mind...
Lj: ok, now, let us put that in a sentence...
Lj: "I'm thankful because of you" or...
Lj: "I'm thankful because I have you" versus...
Lj: "I'm happy because of you"...
Lj: now, which has a deeper meaning..?
Drs: it definitely has different meanings...
Drs: deeper..?
Drs: "thankful because I have you"...
Drs: thankful because I'm happy to have you ...
Drs: this one...
Drs: its not "i'm happy because i'm thankful to have you"...
Drs: right..?
Lj: um mm...
Drs: i think it's a matter of knowing what's the reason of that person being happy and being thankful...
Drs: that's whats important...
Drs: if you're interested in deeper meaning..?
Drs: what you think..?
Lj: hmmm..i don't know...
Lj: I feel like...
Lj: or i prefer that HAPPY over thankful...
Drs: why..?
Lj: thats just me...
Lj: or maybe because...
Lj: we can say to anyone the word "i'm thankful"...
Lj: but not the "i'm happy" thing...
Lj: it could be, we tend to pick certain people...
Lj: or it could be probably one person...
Lj: just my thought...
Lj: try asking your seatmate there in your office...
Drs: hmmm, okay...
Lj: hey...
Drs: yeah...
Lj: i got another question...
Drs: okay...
Drs: shoot..!


I'll cut it here... i am waiting for the next question to crack out of my head...

1 comment:

pilimon said...

thankful..

^___^

mas malalim.. para sa kin.. :)